Letter From Rhys - Week # 31 - A New area, A new Personality!


Feliz Lunes from the tropical land of the Republica Dominicana!

This week, as you all are well aware, I have been moved to a new area! It’s called La Llave! The roads are mainly dirt with 4 main streets of asphalt in our area. Its Tiny!

The members here are fantastic! They work so hard on making sure we have references to teach and they are always focused on sharing the gospel! My companion, Elder Walker, is a hard worker! He really works and focuses on helping people enter the waters of baptism. He’s about 6 feet tall, very scrawny and only loves to cook. Apparently, he doesn’t like anything else other than music. He’s also never specific about anything, so don’t ask him what type of music or food he likes.

All I know is that he hates sweet and salty but loves hot stuff or picante. Though he’s from Jamaica, he says he can’t speak English. However, he can read and teach English without a hitch. He can translate from English to Spanish, and when we accuse him of being able to speak English he says ¨No! It’s in Spanish!¨ How?! I don’t understand. Also, I’m unaware that Jamaica has another language, because the other 3 Jamaicans I have met all know English!

Enough on that rant!

Anyway, this area loves the missionary work and are always sharing the gospel with other people. They are also very charitable and selflessly serve. There’s a recent convert who completes one year in the church today! His name is Elwise and has been suffering from some sort of joint lock from the waist down, and so for the past 5 years he’s been bedridden. I say joint lock because he still has feeling in the nerves of his legs. Anyway, every day one of the members of the ward comes to his house and gives him a bath and cleans him up. It was amazing the first time I saw it because, I know that I probably would not be able to do it.

We were also blessed to meet a whole bunch of new people who are ready to receive us and listen to our message. There are many here who have family in Philadelphia, which I find interesting, so when they ask where’s Ohio, I just say, “It’s next to Philly!” Not those words exactly, just so you’re aware!

Well I’m out of time. I’m also getting huge cramps in my hands from this keyboard. The buttons are super tough and stubborn.

Catch you on the flip-side!

Going forth with the vision of Christ and an eye of faith,

Elder Rhys Wheeler!

P.S. Mom please please please! Typos, my hands can’t take this anymore! OWWWWWWWWW!😬😬😫

😀😎😃 Don’t worry, we’re cool!

Here are some pictures for you:

On top of our apartment facing North!


Facing South from the top of our apartment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter From Rhys - Week #2 - Nothing's Better Than Workouts and Shopping

Letter From Rhys - Week # 46 – Bautismo!!!!!!!!!

Letter from Kelson - Week #18 - Thank goodness for the Mission!!!